Sunday, April 25, 2010

Water Politics and What Citizens Should do

I like what Helmy Sharawy wrote in Shorouk newspaper about the water geopolitics being far from a 'football match' where Egytians will just go about the streets ranting and raving and the government will let steam blow over. This is a serious matter that needs serious interventions; nothing is more ridiculous, in my opinion, than the whole israel-is-behind-this-all sharade.
Conspiracy theories aside--although I myself am a HUGE fan-- our fellow African neighbours are pissed! And if we were in their shoes, we would be pissed too. They think the Nile is theirs, and they want to capitalize on it. We think the Nile is our God-given right; hey, just because Herodotus thinks so doesn't mean the whole world has to agree!!
Compromise is in order here, and real negotiations on our part.
It is imperative to re-educate citizens on the vital importance of reducing wasted water ; there were many campaigns in the past, which I vaguely remember from my childhood,  that unfortunately stopped, for some unknown reason. We tend to view the Nile as infinite, well, it is not!
Stop taking the Nile for granted!

2 comments:

Telma said...

This article is really important.
Years ago I asked some Egyptian friends if they were concerned about the water waste.
They ask me, why???!!!
I acted surprised - but I wasn't - In my country we have a lot of rivers but still we try to reduce the use of water when we take a bath, dish washing, we don't wash the car at home, etc.
And they return back by telling me, here we don't have that problem, Nile is big, full of water, there is a dam to stop so much water. :|

Anyway, please check this link about WATER SAVING TIPS http://watersavingtips.org/saving.html

Thks.

Unknown said...

Great link Telma.
I truly believe that people desperately need to be re-educated about water usage here; especially the younger generations... they're the ones going to suffer most in case Egypt's water rations are drastically reduced.