Sunday, September 26, 2010

The All-Egyptian Grand Night: Best Puppetry Show

Neither blinded by mere childhood nostalgia or a soft-heart for puppetry shows, I have deemed 'The Grand Night', or el layela el kebeyra as the best puppetry show that was ever made.
I was surprised to learn today while reading the Egyptian Chronicles: RIP Salah El-Sakka that this little operetta was directed by Ahmed El Sakka' s father. To all those who don't know, Ahmed El Sakka is the Kevin Costner of Egyptian cinema-- well, the "Bodyguard" Kevin Costner not the Swing Vote Costner.
This el leila el kebeira show then brought together 2 Salahs a master puppeteer, Salah El Sakka, and a master poet, Salah Jahin.
It is an authentic, funny, witty, larger than life, show. I wonder if anybody has ever translated it into English .... maybe I should try one day.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now we know your taste of the opposite sex..mucho Kevin & Ahmad..
Mostafa

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Noooooo.... in fact, I am not a fan of Ahmad El Sakka at all. There is just this ONE role that I liked, a movie called "The Island".